Friday, January 16, 2009

It's freezing in Japan...

                                                                       

 Tonight is opening night of Madame Butterfly.   And despite sub-zero temperatures, a new theater and ever changing makeup to make us, most of whom are definitively Caucasian, look Japanese... it is shaping up to be a beautiful show.  My favorite part is hearing our Butterfly, Indira Mahajan sing.  She's sung all over,  and is a tiny person with a fantastic and sizable instrument.  She seems to be very kind and does not have an ego that made he prove herself in rehearsals...  she saved he voice for the performances, which I believe is the smarter and more humble way to rehearse a show, particularly a role of the magnitude of Butterfly.  She's also elegant on stage and a magnificent actress.
Also notable to me is Rebecca Ringle, the mezzo playing Suzuki.  At first finding out that she's probably just a year older than I am, I was jealous of her success.  But it's also heartening that someone of that age is singing roles and performing with companies such as NYCO.  Rather than being jealous, I will work towards creating a career like hers.  I must also remember I had a few years that I was sort of "off"... so if I allow myself that to consider...
I got very excited talking to my friend Amy Stewart last night about the possibility of moving to Europe.  I have one more semester of school at RU and then, if COT doesn't work out, I will seriously consider applying for a Fullbright.  With something like that I could go to Berlin and audition there.  AJ Wester, a director friend of mine, has always told me that because I'm not the typical "pants-mezzo", I may not have YAPS knocking down my door, but I could end up working alot, being cast as the female mezzo leads...   Charlotte, Dorabella, Carmen, Rosina, etc.  So I will remember that and be heartened.  I am young but my voice is becoming settled and I could sing these roles now in smaller European houses.  So I will leave myself options and not feel like getting Santa Fe or Merola will make or break my career.
It was -26 degrees out here in Cedar Falls this morning, so again I'm staying in until I MUST go out.  Erin and I are having an early dinner with our home stay host, Loree Rackstraw, with is exciting because she seems like an extremely interesting woman who I look forward to talking to.

No comments:

Post a Comment