After a very wonderful Christmas, I'm sitting in front of the television, thinking *very seriously* about packing. ;-)
For singers, and all working musicians, I think the holidays are difficult because one cannot start relaxing at work nor put all of their energies towards making sure presents are bought and wrapped because the holidays are actually the most hectic time for us professionally. But the craziness that compounds itself over the normal holiday stress, it can actually be wonderful. I have been a part of Christmas services at many different churches, with different traditions and belief systems, but all have the aspect of joy and community in common. People come together and soften towards each other, and no matter whether its a Congregationalist church, Methodist, Catholic... singing Silent Night in the darkness with only candle light illuminating our faces, the true meaning of Christmas (not the Bible version, but the "Peace to all Mankind" version) itself becomes illuminated. I feel blessed to be a musician and actually get paid to participate in something so beautiful and so joyful.
Despite a cold and cough, I was pleased with how the Bach cantata went. I had the pleasure of singing with some lovely singers as both soloists and choir members. And our alto section, though depleted to only three of us, made up for our lack of quantity with quality! ;-)
I am now off to pack for the next three weeks in Iowa, and then to help mom out with some cleaning before confining myself in my room to memorize the chorus part for Madame Butterfly. Ok, maybe after I watch Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment