Wednesday, April 1, 2009

trying to stay up to date...

I'm amazed that performers go from one gig straight to the next. Perhaps its easier when you're not an "opera slave", where 9-12 hour days are not uncommon. But I've been home for over a week and still feel a little like a truck hit me and I'm still not unpacked... That is an even more daunting task because I'm trying to make room for my new life in a room that holds all of my stuff from high school and college as well. I'm in the midst of reorganizing and giving away boatloads of old clothes... though at this moment I'm admittedly using this blog to procrastinate. ;-)

It's been good to be back. I've enjoyed observing performance class again, and the lack of a job has allowed me the freedom to go into school and practice for a number of hours when I do go in for class. Friday I will sing "So In Love" for a musical theater master class in Grad Seminar. I look forward to that. I watched my video of Kiss Me, Kate from 2007 when I played Lilli/Kate with Nightblue Theater's production... and the positive part of that experience was seeing how far I've come as a performer during my time in grad school! Watching and listening to yourself is such an incredible tool (though sometimes painful) because you don't fully understand the importance of certain vocal and theatrical techniques until you observe them from an audience's perspective. Watching my rendition of So In Love from that show, I observed what I as an audience member wanted to see in the performance, and on Friday I will try to execute that.

I liked watching the conducting master class last week. Again, there is an emphasis on what makes you a good colleague and someone that would hopefully be hired back. These issues are imperative, arguably even more important in this day and age that an unbelievable natural gift.


Connections from OSB: I've been trying to capitalize upon my relationships from OSB. I contacted Lara Bolton about writing letters of recommendation for my YAP applications next year (SO far in advance, but I figured its better than later and she can be thinking about them while our experiences are still fresh in her memory), as well as asked her opinion about my options for next year. She says go for the big ones, because even the singers at Merola still have things to figure out. So I will, and I'll act the hell out of that audition. I also contacted Scott Jussila, who I find to be, like Lara, kind and open and easy to talk to. I wanted his opinions regarding my "package" since he was also in my final audition for Josh Winograde, James Marvel and Maestro Ryvkin. He recognized that there's a big voice inside of this little package, and I need to capitalize on that. I will try to meet up with him in person, if anything because I think face-to-face meetings are preferable and I just like him and his energy! I've also contacted James Marvel in hopes to schedule a coaching with him when he's in Chicago for the CS convention. I loved what he did with the Lucretia piece and hope to work on my other arias with him so that they are ready for the audition season next year.

Ok... I've written as much as I can without completely rambling. Time to start cleaning!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment