I'm really trying to work on this crazy ambiguous topic...
My director for Carmen, the fabulous Vernon Hartman, who himself is an accomplished baritone, has been extremely supportive of me during this whole processes, as I was doing Mercedes in rehearsals and whatnot. So even though I'm not keen on doing any more pay-to-sings, I "auditioned" for his program in Italy that is in conjunction with an Italian language program. This was at least for him to hear me as a soloist and not just as a comprimario. I sang the Letter Aria from Werther, probably the best I'd ever sung it. He was quite impressed, also because I actually act during it. He also heard What a Movie! and Voi che sapete, both of which went quite well, which I myself was impressed by since the Letter Aria is quite the sing and takes alot out of me. He offered me a spot at his program, and I will consider it because my dad and I were planning on going to Italy for a language program over the summer anyway, and this would allow me to also do some singing there. We'll see. Regardless, I really like Vernon and appreciate his opinion and am glad to have someone out there who thinks highly of me and would recommend me as a singer/actress. And my confidence was padded as well.
I coached Carmen with Lara today, and it went fairly well, though I realize there is still much work to do. I feel like if I can get the light dance-like quality in the Seguidilla and the Gypsy Song and the legato of Habanera and En vain, I will have made great strides in my technique as a singer. I will use this role, a character and opera I love, as a vehicle for me to do this and measure my growth.
I still hope to run the whole opera here before I leave.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment