Thursday, February 12, 2009

Performances and Mr. Katz...

Yesterday we performed our favorite arias for an audience of Santa Barbrians, which was basically a "Death by Aria" for the public. It was a good show and luckily our group of YAPs is extremely kind and supportive, so the general energy was positive. But I sang "Give Him this Orchid" from the Rape of Lucretia by Benjamin Britten (because both Lara Bolton and I LOVE Britten and this aria), but the audience we were singing for might have preferred one of the "hits". I thought it was my chance to do something not French, since I'll be doing Carmen next week... but perhaps I should have sang Va! anyway. Ah well. It went well, but next time I hope to really take better breaths and connect the phrases in a more artistic way.

I had a coaching with Martin Katz, which wasn't nearly as scary as I thought it would be, considering he's "THE" Martin Katz. He had great artistic suggestions and I was proud of how I responded to them. We did "The Letter Aria" from Werther, and rather than being a vocalise with all the same vocal color, each letter was given something different with his suggestion, and this makes the aria "pop" I believe. I realized that what I need the most work on is my ability (and willingness) to caress music as apposed to just blasting dramatically, which Mr. Katz recognized that I already do quite well. But it will be more affective if I am able to contrast it with extremely elegant and sometimes very soft singing. I hope to do this when I sing "The Diary" for him, from Argento's cycle "From the Diary of Virginia Woolf".

No comments:

Post a Comment